And... We Didn't Die! June 13, 2016
So a funny side note, last Monday, we were at Wal-Mart buying our food and things and a man walks up behind me in line and puts his things next to mine on the counter to be paid for. I think he tried to do it without me knowing and when I looked behind me he thought I saw him, so he asked really quietly "Will you buy these for me?" and I said, "No, I can't." I didn't even know what he had put down until I was moving my things down to be paid for. He had set down a 6 pack of beer though and I wanted to tell him that the beer wouldn't do him any good and he was better off not even buying them either, but I didn't. He also had asked me if I was from Utah which I said I was, and he mentioned rather loudly that he had been to that huge Cathedral there in Salt Lake and we thought it was kind of funny.
| The floods on the other side of the concrete barrier, I felt bad for the people who were driving to Lawton at that time, it was super backed up and you had to drive through at least a foot of water. |
As for the work this week, it's been pretty good! We are still seeing miracles each and every day! However, our church meetings were cancelled yesterday due to the roads to Anadarko flooding. So Hermana St. Clair and I thought we could drive to Lawton to at least take the sacrament. We double checked with the Sister Training Leaders to make sure that the roads weren't bad out by them, they said they weren't, so we headed on our way! Well, we felt good about the decision and later learned that we probably shouldn't have, but we didn't get stuck and we didn't die! We were driving on the turnpike and then the
freeway in pouring rain! We even hydroplaned once (I haven't ever had that happen before and it was the second scariest moment of my life)! When we realized that it maybe wasn't a bright idea, we didn't think it could get worse so we continued to the church. When we actually got to Lawton, their were police cars turning us around on one of the streets, so we took another one to the chapel. It's a good thing, I went on exchanges once there and knew how to get through the city! We kept driving and went through a little rushing stream down one of the streets and then we kept going. We got to the main road to the chapel called Gore. When we thought it couldn't get too
much worse, we hit a crossroad that looks like a slightly larger creek. We didn't think we could really turn around (it actually hadn't even crossed our minds.. yet. and it couldn't possibly get worse from now on! So we kept driving and before we realized how deep the water was getting, we were passing a mailman's car that had stopped on the side of the road, and were coming to a red light. I have heard stories before that it's better to keep going in such deep water than to stop, but other trucks were going the other way so we had to quickly stop and then I completely blew the red light and prayed that we would get to the other side of this river in the middle of the streets. There were a few 2x4s going down this river but we went as fast as was safe and possible in this waist deep water we were driving our car through and with God's protection and after many prayers and pounding hearts, the more than slightly terrified Sister Missionaries made it to the other side, where we dodged a trash can in the middle of the street, and continued on to the church where the other missionaries were and where we could take the sacrament. That's all we wanted- to still take the sacrament. Well, we made it there in one piece and I think we've learned a valuable lesson, that if church is cancelled in your area, even if you are going in the opposite direction to another chapel, it's probably better to just stay home! What an adventure for Hermana St. Clair's second Sunday here though! We had felt good when leaving home about our decision though, and we talked about maybe why we had felt good about coming even though there were a lot of crazy experiences that happened along the way, and we don't really know. But we were able to have the sacrament yesterday, which was the main, and most important thing. "The main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing." Everything else that happens is details, and God is in the details of our lives, so there is no need to fear.
| We were going to drive on that road... |
| That's waist deep! do you see the man out there?! |
| "The rains came down and the floods came up!" (That song MUST have been written in Oklahoma.) |
On a different and unrelated note, Savonne and Phillis are both progressing really well right now! Phillis' baptismal date is this weekend, but Stake Conference is next weekend so we think we are going to move the baptism until next week so she doesn't have to wait so long to recieve the gift of the Holy Ghost. She finished reading the Book of Mormon and finally prayed about it too! She called us and told us that she knew it was true! Savonne, has a baptismal date for July 16th right now and she's asking a ton of questions and has so much real intent! We are excited about her as well, we don't know if she's told her father yet that she's meeting with us, but he's a preacher so we're praying that all goes well there if/when she tells him. She's amazing though and she has the cutest boys G-avonne (pronounces Jay-Oh-Von-EE) whose 6 and has started greeting us with a hug each time we come over, and Kayson who is 7 months old. She's amazing too!
The work is hastening! If it wasn't true, it wouldn't go forward with such speed and so many attempts of stopping it! The church Christ established really is on the earth again today, and the Book of Mormon is evidence of it! I'm so grateful for all of your prayers and support! Keep up the faith to see and make miracles happen wherever you're at! I love you all! Chao!
Con amor,
Hermana Nachelle Sharon Hunt (:
Comments
Post a Comment