General Conference! April 4, 2016
| My first Sister Training Leader, Shea Hamm, came to visit and she came to our church to watch General Conference yesterday so I got to say hi! She's the best! |
This weekend was the best with General Conference and everything that I was able to learn! President Walkenhorst mentioned in the email in reference to Elder Holland's talk, the application part will be the hardest part (listening is the easy part) because Satan will be there telling us that we can't do it and continually trying to discourage us! One of the biggest themes that I saw in General Conference that I need to focus on is helping those we teach understand the first point of chapter 3- that God is our loving Heavenly Father. I felt like that popped out at me several times and I kept asking myself, "how well do those we teach understand and really feel like this principle applies personally?" I don't think very many of them do which is our fault. And to take that another step, "how are my missionary efforts changed because I know this principle? Or do I really understand that principle personally?" I know God is my loving Heavenly Father, but to be honest, like in the story about the mother on the life flight helicopter during General Conference "Do I really feel that that principle is true?" I don't really know if I feel that principle to be true all of the time. But I can never give up on my testimony and I will keep working to be truly converted!
Our one solid investigator this past week, Elaine, moved to the OKC 2nd Elders area and so now we are down to nothing again- or at least it feels so. We have a lot of nicer neighborhoods and to be honest, it's been a struggle finding people who will even listen, but we are finishing writing down and making a plan for Oklahoma Initiative (a plan to continually visit all of our members every 6 months and working through the members to find people to teach) this week. I haven't given up hope, and I'm trying to not waver in my faith, but it's a daily battle right now. Our ward is really focused on helping less-active members come back, but I think they have lost the vision for actual investigator missionary work. We have talked to a few of the members and they have encouraged us and told us that we can't give up on people and need to just be their friends, which to a point is true, but we also need to have a balance and have faith to drop those who aren't progressing and use the Lord's time effectively. So I am really not too sure about what to do there, but keep working hard and trying to help establish our purpose even with the members and improve dinner visits.
| Beautiful sunset! |
Another realization that I had this week was about choices! I have often thought, is it better to teach a child about the evils of this world or try everything to shelter them from them, teach them good and when they do learn the evils, teach them not to do them? Well I was reading in Alma 1:1 and Alma 13:3-4 and then also talking to a member at various times this past week and pondering President Monson's talk and another talk from the General Women's Conference (I think) that struck me and answered this question quite firmly for me personally. If we are to follow after our Heavenly Father's pattern in all things, because He's perfect and would know how we would find the most happiness, how has he taught us? Well, before we came to this world, our Heavenly Father taught us His plan, Satan taught us "another way" (more or less) and then we chose. We have to have the options before us to choose, and then learn from our own experience the blessings or consequences that follow. My thoughts are a little more than this, but hopefully this is food for thought for each of you to further develop if you so please.
Also, I'm looking for good favorite talks from past conferences that have stood out to you- if you have any suggestions, I would love to hear them so that I can listen/study to them during lunch hours!
I hope you all loved General Conference as well! Questions were answered. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is Christ's church restored! Jesus Christ lives! Have a blessed week and lean on Him who is mighty to save and heal! Hasta proxima semana! Chao!
Con amor,
Hermana Nachelle Sharon Hunt (:
Comments
Post a Comment