Back to Being a Trainee <-That's Me!! April 25, 2016
A little about my new area- I'm here in Elgin but my area is called Anadarko South. We split the Anadarko Branch with the Elders who are actually in Anadarko. Elgin is the cutest little town, with a whopping 5,000 people ish. Haha it's as country as you can get and there is like one little stop-light in the middle of town. (: Anadarko on the other hand is about 4 Elgins, and supposedly has the highest murder and suicide rate in Oklahoma/USA? I'm not really sure about that. But Elgin is made up with mostly military families while Anadarko is made up of mostly Native Americans from all of the different tribes, mas o menos. Our church is in Anadarko and it isn't part of our area, but our Branch President, President Sylvester, has asked us sisters to work as much as possible in Anadarko so we work in the Elders area as well. We haven't tracted there since supposedly the sisters aren't supposed to- it's just not safe enough? but I haven't felt worried about it yet since it's about the same kind of feeling as the northern part of South Oklahoma City- you just don't want to be there at night. But it's great! I feel so welcomed in this branch and I'm super excited to be here!
Also, happy 2 month mark yesterday to me right? Like I'm still in training right? Haha I decided that I would be like an old person (aka someone over 90) and say I'm still "20" each birthday or 2 months out on the mission until I'm kicked out of Oklahoma.
Fun fact- so mission vehicles are retired and sold at 50,000 miles, and our car is approaching that, so we are getting a new car this Wednesday! We get to go to the city!!! I'm pretty stoked about that! More to go to the city than to be driving a new 2016 Corolla. Haha Hermana Brown was like, uh... could I drive it?? Since, I'm the older missionary in time out on the mission, I have to drive, but we are pretty excited about the new car anyways! Haha
So, at transfers, President Walkenhorst came up to me and was like "Sister Hunt! Are you ready to train?" And I was like "I am SO excited to train, President Walkenhorst!". He replied by saying "Do it right!" Ay!! oh. okay President! "Okay, I'll do my best!" Haha I love President Walkenhorst- he sure does keep me humble!
Hermana Brown was pre-trained for her mission and I feel like she's going to be training me. In all seriousness though, she is amazing at teaching people- not lessons, has such great desires to be exactly obedient, and knows how to ask really great, inspired questions. I'm excited to learn from her and be her companion. This transfer is going to be great and I'm going to be able to learn so many wonderful things! I'm still super excited to be able to finish Hermana Brown's training and help her in her Spanish and work on applying the doctrine of Christ personally! It's going to be great! "The fun is in the growth" -President Walkenhorst. Right?
As for our area, I am so excited to be here in Elgin and Anadarko! We met with our branch President this past week to go over his vision and get an idea of how we can better be his servants. It was a really wonderful meeting with him. He wants us sisters in Anadarko working as much as possible. I haven't felt worried about the safety of us while being in Anadarko yet, but I know that sisters are hesitant to tract there. Maybe I'm not concerned enough while there, but I feel like it's not more unsafe than the northern part of South Oklahoma City. So we are going to be trying to work in Anadarko more as our miles permit which is only 2 times a week, but Elgin has no Oklahoma Initiative plan right now either, so I'm glad I took pictures of our plan we made in Mustang to use to make a written plan here. This area is going to be progressing more and more though with that plan in place and Hermana Brown's fire is definitely needed in this area, so I'm excited to see how things continue going up from here!
As for our area, I am so excited to be here in Elgin and Anadarko! We met with our branch President this past week to go over his vision and get an idea of how we can better be his servants. It was a really wonderful meeting with him. He wants us sisters in Anadarko working as much as possible. I haven't felt worried about the safety of us while being in Anadarko yet, but I know that sisters are hesitant to tract there. Maybe I'm not concerned enough while there, but I feel like it's not more unsafe than the northern part of South Oklahoma City. So we are going to be trying to work in Anadarko more as our miles permit which is only 2 times a week, but Elgin has no Oklahoma Initiative plan right now either, so I'm glad I took pictures of our plan we made in Mustang to use to make a written plan here. This area is going to be progressing more and more though with that plan in place and Hermana Brown's fire is definitely needed in this area, so I'm excited to see how things continue going up from here!
We also, have a baptism coming up with Phillis! Phillis is the grandma of a recent convert- Sister Bish- and is just on fire! She is going to be baptized on May 7th and we talk to her everyday about her reading- she's just starting Jacob! AH! She has been so prepared to receive the gospel and she lives in Anadarko! Um... She's great! (: Also, we set a baptismal date our last day in Mustang with Jordan's mom, Lora, for May 14th too! Pray for Lora and Jordan still! They are planning to be baptized May 14th! (:
So please pray for her! And also our branch! We have 7 large, solid families that are all moving out of the branch (mostly due to military) in the next 2 months and our branch is not that big... so might be struggling here for a bit if no one moves in! But we do have 4 solid recent converts in our ward who are just amazing and I am so excited to get to know better! One of them being Sister Newman, who was a recent convert that Elder Smith in my last area, and Elder Burrows who was in the OKC South area when I was there, told me about before I even knew I was coming here, who is just amazing! She's like 75 years old and prayed the missionaries to her door practically! There are many others who are prepared here in Elgin and Hermana Brown and I are excited to find them! I love you all! Chao!
Con amor,
Hermana Nachelle Sharon Hunt (:
Comments
Post a Comment